Monday 30 July 2018

An IMPORTANT discovery

Well well.,,, look what I have just found whilst swanning about in my ether driven chariot on't web.

                                                       ^^^
It's a 1950's Ordnance survey map of Sheffield as used by the local council,,, now if you scroll up in line with the three arrows,,,,,,,,, [above] to the first bright red copy-write marks and attack the view with some form of magnifier you will see the following,"Salmon Pastures Yard coal and coke depot".

I never knew the Pastures had a coal and coke yard,,, HONEST,,,and not only that I have now got a track plan of the yard and it's feeder line which swoops majestically over the canal and then over the River Don ,,,  if you look at the next map,, which I haven't included,,,Salmon Pastures Yard appears to be almost an island surrounded by the river.

I can already see it forming in my minds eye,,,,,the picturesque River Don complete with it's weir's,, babbling brooks,,, kingfishers,,  [yeh right]  more like,,sewage outfall's,, old lorry front axles,,,surplus to requirement 45 gallon oil drums,,, toxic waste pipes containing goodness knows what,,,,and while you are there have another good look round that map just about every road in the industrial bit has at least 3 steel workshops on it,,, YO HO,, all that grunge and grime,, lovely,, what more could one ask for.

WHAT A DAY,,, what a discovery,,, I'm going to have to go and have a lie down as I can see I am going to be VERY VERY  busy.

Anybody got any pictures of a Coal and Coke Plant????

Watch this murky space!!!

No comments: