Saturday 4 August 2018

Southwold on't Sea

Worthy of a post in itself,,,,I have just been to my first model railway exhibition for some time.

Southwold,, Suffolk,, [Chelsea on sea,,, for the likes of me and thee] home of the beach chalet's that fetch a far better price than my 3 bed detached bungalow.



In a word,,,, disappointing,,, a possibly biased opinion from a 4mm fan,,, as there were more 7mm layouts than anything else,,, but I suppose,,, "this is Southwold".

And an old gripe,,,, how do they get away with alleyways of approx 6' [that is 1.8 metro-gnomes in parles junker speak] and allow double decker Porsche buggies in that can bring the whole bash to a standstill in 30 seconds,,,, mind you I am please to report that "Pippa's" offspring slept through it all with no problem whatsoever!!!!!

With a £7.00 entrance fee it worked out at £3.50 per hour,,, and we spent 25% of the allocated 2 hours quaffing tea and debating if the buggy borne L'enfant Terrible's were better flam-beyed or lightly toasted!!!!   [It's all about personal taste I suppose] it was that sort of show.

On a brighter note,,, Gresley beat was there in all it's glory,,, there was a lovely 2mm coal mine layout which I couldn't get anywhere near because the front row was full of people with smart phones filming it for pretty much the whole time I was trying to get a bit closer,,I gave up in the end,, after all it was only 2mm,,, and the variety of books on the book stand was wonderful.

It was SUNNY,,,, it was DRY,,, and the company far outweighed the imbalance of the exhibits,,, but let's be realistic,,,, nobody wins every week.

Southwold has other attractions as well and well worth a visit if you ask me!!!! 


No comments: